yellow ribbon program


What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?

The Yellow Ribbon Program is an agreement between institutions of higher learning and the Department of Veterans Affairs that cover the gap between what The Post 9/11 GI Bill will pay a private institution and what the actual cost of tuition and fees are.
Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the Department of Veterans Affairs will pay a private institution up to $17,500 per academic year for the eligible student’s tuition and fees. The Yellow Ribbon program allows institutions of higher learning in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the Department of Veterans Affairs to help fund tuition and fee expenses that go beyond $17,500. Participating schools can then contribute up to 50% of the remaining tuition and fee expenses, and the Department of Veterans Affairs will match that amount. This means that under the post 9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program, the student’s entire tuition and fees will be paid for at the University of Great Falls. The Department of Veterans Affairs will also pay a monthly housing allowance and a book stipend of up to $1000 per year!
Only veterans or their designated transferees using the Post 9/11 GI Bill who are entitled to the maximum benefit rate of 100% (based on service requirements) may receive Yellow Ribbon Benefits.
Eligibility criteria for the Post 9/11 GI Bill can be found at the GI Bill website.
Transfer of Post-9/11 GI-Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB)
For the first time in history, service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill program will be able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children starting Aug. 1, 2009. For specific questions on your eligibility for TEB or how to apply, visit the “How to Apply for TEB” section at the GI Bill website or call your service career counselor or personnel center. VA does not determine eligibility for TEB. 
The Post 9/11 GI Bill pays tuition and fees directly to the school on the eligible students’ behalf. The housing allowance and book stipend are paid directly to the student based on their rate of pursuit (i.e. full time, half time).
Accurate enrollment information must be submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs so that benefit payments are calculated correctly. It is the students’ responsibility to notify the School Certifying Official of any changes to their enrollment within each semester.
Please be aware that the VA portion of your tuition payment will not appear on your statement of account until the University of Great Falls receives actual payment from the VA. To ensure prompt payment, remember to complete the VA Certification Request Form prior to each semester. Once your VA Certification Request Form is processed, the University of Great Falls’ Business Office will recognize that VA tuition payment will be expected; therefore, you will not be required to pay the tuition and fee expenses up front.

 University of Great Falls | 1301 20th Street South, Great Falls, Montana 59405 | 800-856-9544 | Contact