Connect to your LearnLinc Class
UGF Distance Learning's real-time interaction is based on an Internet conferencing technology called LearnLinc, which allows students to connect to live class sessions from their own homes or offices. The LearnLinc "Virtual Classroom" lets students participate in a multi-point audioconference with the course instructor and fellow students.
LearnLinc also provides such interactive tools as shared Web browsing, shared applications, PowerPoint slide viewing, shared whiteboards, and live text chat. In addition, each week's interactive session is recorded electronically to provide a backup in case a student misses a live class discussion.
For the majority of Distance Learning courses, students weekly view one-hour video lectures available from our Campus Store and then participate in follow-up LearnLinc discussions with the instructor and fellow students.
For many Distance Learning classes, students are required to have a local contact to proctor their exams. Click here for the Distance Learning Proctor Certification Form. A proctor should be a local professional. Many students choose an employee of the local school district, a local law enforcement officer, or a supervisor at work. The proctor may not be a relative unless specific arrangements are made with an individual professor.
Students wishing to connect to live, interactive UGF Telecom conference classes via LearnLinc will need the following:
- Microsoft Windows-computer running Windows 2000, XP or later on a 600 MHz or faster processor, running Internet Explorer 6.0 or later for maximum compatibility (recommend ActiveX enabled) or Firefox 1.5 or higher (recommend Java installed).
- Mac OS X 10.4 through 10.6, running Firefox 1.5 or higher or Safari 2.0 or higher, with Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 or higher.
- Available Disk Space: 15 MB
- Memory: 256 MB of RAM, recommend 1 GB
- A reliable Internet account at speeds of 56 Kbps or better. (Most "free" accounts you qualify for when buying a computer package typically do NOT provide a reliable enough data rate to support audioconferencing.) Broadband access is strongly recommended.
- Full duplex sound card and either good quality speakers and compatible microphone or headphones with microphone.
- Display: 1024 x 768, 16-bit color
- Allow Voice Transport (VoIP) on either UDP port 11730 (preferred) or HTTP 80.
If you have the above hardware and software, you can download a free copy of the LearnLinc Client software to install on your computer.
Request a LearnLinc login account.